Monday, January 2, 2012

Chapters 11 & 12

      The last two chapters were very depressing. The war was going very badly for Germany and getting worse for the soldiers. These poor men have nothing, they are simply focused on trying to stay alive through the unforgiving war that is going on around them. They see it as if they focus, just a little bit, on anything other than their survival they are wasting precious energy. I see that as really sad. These men have lost all the joy in their lives, they are simply going through the days barely alive at all.
      Multiple people died in chapter 11, first Detering disappeared and then Muller died quite a terrible death, after the company commander Bertinck "fell", and lastly the great Stanislaus Katczinsky died.  It was very sad. But in the last chapter the narrator, Paul, died in October of 1918. That was the last thing I was expecting but I was disapointed with the lack of discrption on how he died all it said was that " he had fallen forward and lay on the earth as though sleeping." I' m guessing he was shot in the back?
      In the end the book had a very slow and confusing start but I liked the end, it was an ok book.
 
     the picture is of a WW1 burial ground

No comments:

Post a Comment