Sunday, January 1, 2012

Chapter 2

     Corporal Himmelstoss is first introduced in this chapter, he is described as " a small undersized fellow with a foxy, waxed mustache,". This discription doesn't  really capture who Himmelstoss is. Even  when he is noted as "the strictest disiplinarian in the camp, and proud of it" I didn't know how nasty he was because even if he is strict it doesn't mean he is particuarly mean.  It wasn't until the next paragraph that I more of an idea of Himmelstosses charactor. In the next paragraph Paul tells of all the tasks that Himmelstoos ordered him to do, that was pretty harsh. some examples are " I have remade his bed fourteen times in one morning", "I have scrubbed out the corporals' mess with a tooth brush." Even though this was made up, things like that happened and there were people like Himmelstoss out there.                                         

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! They also described Himellstoss as small but power hungry which showed me why most soldiers must disliked him so much. This is probably one of the most interesting posts of a character ive read so far very informative. I agree that Himmelstoss was a harsh man and he is a corporal and all but that doesnt give him the right to do that to paul.

    ReplyDelete