Monday, January 2, 2012

Chapter 8

     Chapter 8 was one of my favorite chapters. It talks about the Russian prisoners. I find it terrible that they have to beg like animals just to get little scraps of food to fill their empty stomachs. What did these men do to
deserve such a horrible fate? The quote on pages 193 & 194 " A word of command has mad these silent figures our enemies; a word of command might transform them into our friends" really stuck out to me. That qoute is 100% true, if these men were born in another country, the country of their enemies, they would not of been treated so harshly, the two sides would even of been friends. It is a mans actions, not their herritage that defines their charactor, defines how they should be treated. I know that it is just how war is, but I still don't that is right. Paul also feels pity towards these prisoners, this is shown when while he is being a guard, he shares his cigarettes with the Russians.   the picture is of Russian prisoners in WW1.

No comments:

Post a Comment